Is Ceramic Coating Worth It?
March 17, 2021
Ceramic coating is a great choice for those who want to protect their wheels and keep them looking brand new even after a year or two of daily abuse from driving.
Learn everything you need to know about ceramic coating and why it's worth adding to your new wheels from SD Wheel.
Ceramic Coating Questions:
What is Ceramic Coating?
What actually is the ceramic coating? You've probably heard ceramic coating when it comes to your car or truck, but the ceramic coating is also very popular and beneficial for your wheels.
Protection For Your Wheels
- A professional ceramic coating protects your wheels from natural elements like UV rays, salt corrosion, oxidation, dirt, and debris
- The best time to ceramic coat your wheels is they are brand new so they haven't been exposed to any of those elements
- Ceramic coating is a liquid polymer that bonds to the wheel and allows water to bead and run off of the wheel
- Makes cleaning your wheels very easy (even mud and dirt!)
Process of Ceramic Coating
- Starts with a deep clean of your wheels so they are 100% spotless
- The liquid polymer is applied using a special sponge
- Once applied, there a cure time before wheels can be driven on
- This process is essentially the same when it comes to ceramic coating the paint of a car or truck
Does Ceramic Coating Change the Finish of Your Wheels?
When someone considers ceramic coating their wheels, this question always pops up as a potential risk. But don't worry, you'll like our answer.
No. Ceramic Coating Is Safe For Your Wheel Finish
- Ceramic coating is safe to use for all types of wheels and finishes if applied correctly and using a high-quality ceramic coating
- On a satin or matte wheel, you will see a little more shine, and the color maybe a little richer, but it is still safe and won't damage your wheels
- Safe for powder-coated, polished, machine-finish, painted, matte (yes, even matte black wheels), and satin wheels
Can I Scrub My Wheels Without Removing the Ceramic Coating?
Ceramic coating is not a substitute for actually cleaning your wheels, but don't get too aggressive with cleaning dirt and road grime when that time comes.
Yes, With The Proper Supplies
- We recommend using a soft microfiber cloth when cleaning your wheels that are ceramic coated
- Aggressive cloths or brushes could potentially harm your ceramic coating
- Be nice to your wheels when cleaning them and you shouldn't run into any problems
What Are The Benefits of Ceramic Coating?
Why would someone want to ceramic coat their wheels? Here are a few benefits of ceramic coating.
Ease of Cleaning
- Cleaning your wheels is much easier with a ceramic coat because of the smooth barrier that it creates on the surface of your wheel
- Makes your wheels very hydrophobic, which means water (even slightly muddy water) will easily run off of the wheel
- They also won't get dirty as often because of this
- Offers protection from elements that are somewhat out of our control like UV rays, salt corrosion, and oxidation
- More protection again dirt, dust, road grime, and more
Longevity of Appearance
- Provides shine and protection that keeps your wheels looking brand new even after a year of driving
- Brings out the best features of your wheels with the ultimate shine/detailed look
- Creates a protective barrier on the surface of your wheel that is very smooth and clean looking
- Makes your wheel color pop
How Long Does Ceramic Coating Last?
Ceramic coating is worth the small investment especially when you consider how long it can last with proper maintenance.
Up to 3 Years of Protection and Shine
- If done right and maintained, a ceramic coating can last up to 3 years!
- A professional ceramic coating from SD Wheels always supplies a Ceramic Coating Extender which will need to be applied every 6 months for max life
- You still need to wash your car or truck regularly otherwise you can compromise your ceramic coat's life
What Does Ceramic Coating Protect Your Wheels From?
Ceramic Coating is designed to protect your wheels from the typical substances you'll encounter on the road and from factors that we cannot necessarily control.
Ceramic Coat Protects Against...
- Salt corrosion
- UV Rays
- Harsh Chemicals
- Other Road Grime
Ceramic Coat Does NOT Protect Against...
- Rock chips
How Much Does Ceramic Coating Cost?
When you consider the cost of a professional ceramic coat and the benefits it provides, it's actually a great bang for your buck; 3 years of protection and shine!
- To add ceramic coating to a set of 4 wheels from SD Wheel, the cost is $199.99
- SD Wheel provides a Ceramic Coating Extender to maintain and strengthen that protective barrier
- If you have any additional wheels to ceramic coat, the cost is $49.99 per extra wheel
Do you have more questions about ceramic coating that we didn't cover? Leave a comment below and we answer it for you.
Also, let us know if you've ceramic coated your wheels below!